Assessment in the MYP
An important aspect of any good school is understanding and explaining to students how assessment works in the classroom. But equally important is to explain to parents how assessment in the classroom works. Jenny Montague, our MYP Coordinator, presented yet again, another tremendous session on ‘Assessment in the MYP’. We had in excess of 25 parents attend the session – brilliant. It was engaging and informative. HERE is the link to Jenny’s presentation.
Choir performances at lunchtime
The look of surprise on the faces of those in the cafeteria at lunchtime was brilliant. Many were completely caught off guard as the choir began singing! But it wasn’t traditional songs that they belted out, it was recent hits the choir had been practising. Many students joined along with the choir, singing – so nice to hear!
MHS Spirit Week
The week before the midterm break was Spirit week, organised by the National Honour Society(NHS) and Mr Gysbers. Each day of the week had a theme – dress up day, dress down day, gender switch day, pyjama day! The week itself was a huge success with both staff and students getting into the Spirit! The MHS is looking to have another Spirit week before the end of this term – look out for what they have planned!
End of Season 1 Elective – Next week
It has been brought to my attention that there is some confusion as to the finish date for the current elective season.
Season 1 electives do not end until Friday, November 16th.
My apologies for any confusion this may have caused.
Athletic Director/MHS Activities Coordinator
Update our Bear Mascot Design!!!
Our school is changing from BIFS to ISB. We want our bear mascot to evolve too. We are a student-centered school and your voice is important. Here’s your chance to leave your mark at ISB. You are welcome to use all of your creativity to update our Bear mascot image.
- Your design must be submitted to Mr. Graham Young by Wednesday, December 12
- The marketing committee will select three finalists by January 14
- The three finalists will be voted on by the ISB community by January 28
- The winning design will then be sent to a professional graphic designer who will finalize the updated design by February 22
- Updated Mascot revealed at the 35th Anniversary celebration event on March 8
- This mascot will be used in our sports teams, school spirit, marketing, and swag
- Desired qualities: expresses a fighting spirit, competitive, inclusive, family oriented, and intelligent. The winning design will align with the new ISB brand.
- Submission Requirements: any format will be accepted (hard or soft copy) email to email@example.com or hand deliver to Mr. Young.
Ideas or themes to consider as you design
- IB Learner Profiles
- Style Ideas: Abstract, Pictorial, Realistic, Futuristic, Traditional
- Attitude Ideas: Friendly, Fun, Aggressive, Serious, Comical
- All participants who submit a design will receive a new ISB sticker
- The winner of the design will get the first ISB letterman jacket with the new design
Parent – Teacher – Student Conferences
Last Thursday, 8 November, we held our first session for 2018/19, of Parent – Student – Teacher Conferences in the Gymnasium. It was tremendous to see so many parents, accompanied by their children, attend the afternoon and evening. We hope that it was a beneficial session for all who attended. I have included a very brief Parent Feedback Survey – HERE. If you could take the time to complete this survey it will enable us to continue to build the levels of support we provide for both you and your child.